Monday, September 10, 2007

A Pilonidal Cyst is a pain in the butt...

Just to make it known... so that everyone doesn't feel like they have to tiptoe around the subject... I have a cyst on my tailbone... and its healing fine.

I was kind of embarrassed to discuss it before, but I realized that it’s a medical condition and nothing to be embarrassed about.It started in Hawaii, 2 weeks ago... We had been lounging in these awesome cabanas on the beach, it was just a lazy day and we'd spent a few hours just lounging. Afterward, my tailbone felt a little sore. I didn't think anything of it, but as the days progressed, it got worse... to the point that I could barely sit down.

I didn't let (or tried not to let it) ruin the rest of our Hawaii trip... I don't think it did. We had the most wonderful time in Maui. (Except for the plane ride home... 6 hours sitting in a plane was NOT cool. Partly because I don't sleep well in planes... I think I got a collective 1 hour.)

Well, I tolerated the pain for the next couple days thinking I had just bruised my tailbone somehow. I went to the doctor on Wednesday. He took one look and pronounced the diagnosis... pilonidal cyst. "Pilowha?" I said.

Apparently, it is most common in men in their 20s and 30s... so watch out! He said he needed to drain the infection and told me to lay down on the table... "What? You're going to drain it now?" I said, with disbelief in my voice. Well, I did get on the exam table and he sliced me open and drained the infection from my tailbone.

Then, as is common practice with infected pilonidal cysts... he packed the wound so that it would heal from the inside out to ensure all the infection is out.Having an open wound is not fun, especially when it is on your tailbone. It makes sitting uncomfortable and it is quite literally a pain in the behind. Not to mention the fact that the wound has to be changed daily. Well, we could've paid to have a home health nurse come and do that deed, but opting for the more frugal and less embarrassing approach, I volunteered Amy to do that.

I'm sure she doesn't enjoy the task. I'm sure I don't help, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to pain and I just plain don't handle medical situations very well (a curse from my father.)

Thankfully, I had an check up appointment with my doctor a few days ago and he said it is healing very well, faster than he expected given the severity. Also... I am NOT looking forward to the imminent surgery that will be required to remove the cyst completely... a feat which couldn't be done now due to the infection.

I've spared all of you and my posterity by not documenting this event with pictures... I'm sure you wouldn't want to see it anyway, I know I don't.

No comments: