Monday, September 10, 2007

Mahalo Nui Loa...

Two weeks ago we had the great opportunity to take a vacation to the "Sandwich Islands." (Aka Hawaii) Amy's parents were so generous and paid for us to join them in their vacation.
We stayed on the island of Maui. It is just as much a tropical paradise as everyone makes it seem. There were palm trees everywhere and tropical flowers just sprang up spontaneously. I was definitely in paradise. Amy has already been to Hawaii a couple times (although she was about 10 the last time she was in Maui.) It was my first time and I was just soaking it all in.
The first thing I noticed about Hawaii is how extremely humid it is. I expected as much from a tropical climate... but I didn't realize how much it would effect me coming from one of the driest states in the country. Regardless, it was amazing. We stayed in the Mariott resort in Ka'anapali. It was gorgeous and very spacious.
Our days were spent lounging by the pool sipping our strawberry daiquiris, snorkeling where we saw sea turtles and tropical fish... ( I think I found Nemo!), hanging out on the beach and playing in the ocean.

We went to an authentic Hawaiian luau and tried all the traditional Hawaiian food. Apparently, apart from the pig roasted whole, the islands are famous for their fish. (Amy is not a fan of fish, but she did order some at one restaurant we went to and said it was alright.) I had Pilio (or something like that...), Mahi Mahi, Ono, and Opah.
Our trip seemed to go by too quickly and we wish we could go back... and now for some pictures!




Lounging by the pool. Amy in the sun wanting to get tan, me in the shade, avoiding the curse of the lobster.











Eating dinner at "The Plantation House." An extremely nice restaurant at an elite golf course. It was very good. (This is where Amy got fish.)










All ready to go snorkling!







Amy enjoyed the shopping, and trying on the big sunglasses!







Hawaiian sunsets truly are an amazing sight.

No comments: